NCMR Special Issue Call for Papers: Culture and Communication in Negotiation and Conflict Management
Negotiation and Conflict Management Research
Special Issue Call for Papers
Culture and Communication in Negotiation and Conflict Management
Submission Deadline: January 15, 2018
Special Issue Editor:
Wendi Adair, University of Waterloo
Culture is defined broadly as a social group with shared values and norms that are reinforced and perpetuated through the group’s institutions. Culture defined by national borders is one conceptualization; culture defined by gender, religion, lifestyles, careers, and generations are also predictors of what, how, and when someone communicates, as well as interprets, and responds. What refers to communication content: meaning the speaker conveys and meaning the listener interprets. How refers to linguistic style, nonverbal cues, context dependence, and communication medium. When refers to temporal patterns such as timing, pacing, and temporal horizons.
We invite empirical and conceptual submissions addressing culture and communication in diverse negotiation and conflict management contexts including topics such as:
- Case studies or comparative culture analyses of negotiators’ or mediators’ communication repertoires in understudied populations (e.g., Africa, South America, religious groups);
- Communication adjustment/adaptation, cultural interpreters, and role of language in cross- cultural negotiation and conflict resolution;
- Qualitative analyses of linguistic or communication tools used to aid conflict resolution and negotiation in distinct cultural populations (e.g., metaphor in high context cultures, sharing circles, story-telling in hierarchical cultures);
- Content analyses of public accounts of negotiation or conflict resolution (e.g., media coverage of land dispute, international trade, and political negotiations across culture);
- Identification, interpretation, and management of miscommunication and misinterpretation in cross-cultural negotiation or dispute resolution;
- Conflict management and negotiation in close relationships across cultures.Please submit your manuscript at: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ncmr (click on the Special Issue submission link). When preparing your manuscript, carefully follow author guidelines at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/ (ISSN)1750-4716. Provisional timeline:
Manuscript submissions due: January 15, 2018; Initial decisions: March 1, 2018; First round revisions due: April 1, 2018; Final manuscript due: May 1, 2018.Please direct topic ideas and special issue inquiries to Wendi Adair: email@example.com; contact Michael Gross, NCMR Editor-in-Chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries about NCMR.
Negotiation and Conflict Management Research (NCMR) is the official journal of
the International Association for Conflict Management (IACM) and is published by Wiley.