Information for Presenters
Dear IACM 2018 Conference Authors and Attendees,
Below you will find two very important pieces of information regarding presentations and the process for entering Convene each day of the conference. Please read through this email carefully. Note especially that there will not be laptops in presentation rooms. As such, Session Chairs should bring a laptop to their session, or coordinate with the other session presenters to arrange for someone else to bring one. You should also plan to arrive to Convene a few minutes early each day in order to get the daily building security pass.
Instructions to Presenters
Please note these have been updated slightly to reflect the need for Session Chairs to bring (or arrange for someone else in their session to bring) a laptop.
The Visual Presentation Session will run from 8:30-10pm on Sunday of the conference.
- Room set-up: Presentations will be placed on easels in the designated room. The location in the room will be based on poster number (please refer to the program for your number) and will be indicated with signage. Presenters will set up their presentations at 8:15pm. Materials must be removed from the room at the end of the session on Sunday night. Conference program volunteers will be in the room to help facilitate set-up.
- Presentation Guidelines: Please use a space of 3′ tall x 4′ wide (~90cm x 120cm) for your entire presentation. Prepare a banner on the top indicating the title, author(s), and affiliation(s). Lettering needs to be about 1 ¼” (3 cm) high for the title, ¾” (2cm) high for the authors’ names and ½” (1.25cm) high for affiliations. The most reader-friendly use of the rest of the space would be in a grid format arranged in columns. The standard
elements are: Abstract (150 words), Introduction, Methods, Results (with supporting figures), and a Conclusion or Summary. Type should be easily seen from a short distance (approximately 3’). Using the guidelines above, the abstract would be placed at the upper left, and the conclusion at the lower right, both in large type (at least 3/8” high). We encourage you to bring a summary of your presentation as a handout for distribution.
(Monday – Wednesday)
Session Chairs should bring a laptop to their session, or coordinate with the other session presenters to arrange for someone else to bring one. Projectors will be available in each room. Please arrive at your presentation room at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the session. If you are the Session Chair (see below), please coordinate with the other presenters in your session to load via USB copies of their presentations onto the computer prior to the scheduled start time.
The Session Chair is also responsible for beginning on time and time keeping throughout the session. It would be useful to the audience if you would take into account the overall theme of the session when facilitating discussion. Please sit in the front row and use time reminders (e.g., “5 minutes”,“1 minute”, and “0 minutes”) to let presenters know their time status.
- Full-Presentations Sessions are 90 minutes long and typically include four presentations. Authors should prepare a 15-minute presentation and allowfor 5-minutes discussion for each piece (total 20 minutes). This will provide several minutes of transition time and/or general discussion between presenters. You may coordinate with other presenters and structure your session in ways that suit your preferences (e.g., Q&A after each paper versus waiting until the end). The Session Chair is automatically determined based upon who is scheduled to present last in each session. If you are the last presenter listed in your session, you are also the Session Chair.
- Rapid-Fire Presentation Sessions are divided into sub-sessions (labelled A, B, and C) based on topic areas with typically up to 5 presentations in each. Sub-sessions are designed to be approximately 30 minutes in length for every 5 presentations, or otherwise timed accordingly (e.g., smaller sub-sessions should take less time so that larger ones may take more). Each participant needs to prepare a 5-minute presentation with no more than 7 slides andcan entertain 1 brief audience question if time permits. The last author in each sub-session will serve as the Sub-Session Chair, and will need to keep time scrupulously to ensure everyone has time to present.
- Roundtables, Symposia, Workshops, and Novel Panel Sessions are each 90 minutes. The organizer is responsible for managing the schedule within the allotted overall time. If
you have a multi-presenter paper format, please follow the instructions above for full-presentations sessions, with the exception that the symposium organizer is the Session Chair.
- Special Topic Sessions are each 90 minutes and typically include 3 presentations plus a special guest speaker who will serve as host for the session. Authors should prepare a 15-minute presentation and allowfor 5-minutes discussion for each piece (total 20 minutes). This will provide several minutes of transition time and/or general discussion between presenters. The host will serve as the final speaker of the session. You may coordinate with other presenters and structure your session in ways that suit your preferences (e.g., Q&A after each paper versus waiting until the end after the host speaks). The Session Chair is automatically determined based upon who is scheduled to present last in each session (i.e., immediately preceding the host). If you are the last presenter listed in your session, you are also the Session Chair.
Instructions for Convene
The process for entering the presentation space will be a little different this year. When you arrive at Convene, you will need to go to the security desk on the ground floor to let them know that you are there for the IACM conference. They will hand you a day pass to enter the secured upstairs floors. You will need this pass to enter our area, and will need to get a new pass each day of the conference that we are at Convene (Monday-Wednesday). Note that this is separate from your conference ID badge. Please plan an additional 5 minutes time for getting the day pass when you arrive at Convene each day.