[IACM List] Call for Chapter Proposals: Conflict Management and Technology

Jessica Jameson jameson at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 17 11:04:44 MDT 2020

Hello IACM Community,

It was wonderful to be with so many of you and meet new members this past
week. I confess was very excited about the prospect of vIACM, but I was
pleasantly surprised by how great the conference was!

It is something of a coincidence that I was invited to edit a book on
Conflict, Technology, and Social Media shortly before the COVID-19 pandemic
began, and now there is a whole new focus on how we "do" conflict with
technology. I am therefore sharing the call for proposals, which please
note has a fairly rapid turnaround time (I'd love to have completed
chapters by December if possible - the publication date is supposed to be
November 2021!)

Please take a look at the attached call and contact me with submissions or
questions! I'm also pasting it below for your convenience. A couple of you
out there may have sent proposals or emails to me after an earlier version
of this call went out: Please let me know if you are still interested in
being considered!

Best to all,

Jessica

Call for Chapter Proposals: Contemporary Trends in Conflict and
Communication: Technology and Social Media

Co-editors: Jessica Katz Jameson, PhD and Melissa Hannah, PhD Student,
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA

We are pleased to invite submissions for chapter proposals for an edited
volume as part of the series Emerging Trends in Conflict Management edited
by Dr. Helena Desivilya Syna and published by De Gruyter
<https://www.degruyter.com/>.

While Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) has existed since the prevalence of
the internet, the COVID-19 pandemic that imposed social distancing
throughout the world not only created additional stress, anxiety and
conflict, but forced people to manage these conflicts in online spaces. The
move to online conflict management may be especially challenging in the
current era of increased polarization, which impacts the willingness and
ability of people with different views and values to engage in productive
dialogue. The use of social media is often implicated in the promulgation
of alternative facts, false news, and intimidation, yet years of experience
with different forms of ODR may reveal that technology and new media also
have the capacity to enhance and transform conflict communication in the
family, workplace, and social settings.

This volume will cover myriad ways conflict communication occurs in
mediated spaces, whether through social media platforms such as Twitter,
Facebook, and Instagram, social enterprise spaces such as Yammer! and
proprietary networks, or through formal conflict management and dispute
system technologies. Throughout the world, conflicts are increasingly
mediated in “hybrid” spaces—intersections among mediated and physical
space. Therefore, learning how to enhance mediated communication during
conflict is an important empirical and practical issue.

Organizationally, the book is conceived as three sections (to be refined
based on accepted chapter proposals):

   1.

   ODR: Design and use of online platforms for conflict resolution
   2.

   Conflict communication on social media
   3.

   Using technology to promote dialogue and collaboration

We welcome a range of current discussions on conflict communication such as:

   -

   Conflict management use cases on ODR and social media platforms
   -

   The role of Unfollowing, Unfriending, and  Blocking  on conflict
   management
   -

   The influence of the technology (i.e., Zoom vs instant messenger or
   text) on conflict communication

The volume seeks interdisciplinary contributions from scholars of mass
media/journalism, rhetoric, political science, sociology, African
American/Black Studies, LGBTQ studies, and all other allied fields.

Abstracts of 250-500 words will be accepted until August 21, 2020.
Notification of acceptance/rejection will be sent to authors by August 31,
2020. Completed manuscripts of 4,000-6,000 words will be due December 30,
2020. Targeted publication date with De Gruyter will be Fall 2021.
Questions can be directed to Jessica Jameson at jameson at ncsu.edu.

--
Jessica Katz Jameson, PhD
Professor & Department Head