[IACM List] Pandemic Pedagogy

Shahla Ali sali at hku.hk
Thu Mar 12 20:03:18 MDT 2020

Thanks Noam,

This is very helpful.  We have been teaching online (via Panapto and Zoom) in Hong Kong for the past 5 months or so...  Our PVC of Teaching & Learning complied some of the experiences/feedback below that might be of interest to colleagues:

-----

Message from Vice President (Teaching and Learning)

"Dear colleagues

In the past couple of days I’ve had opportunities to discuss online learning with the Associate Deans (T&L) and, when visiting with the President, with colleagues in the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences. In recent weeks I’ve also had many email conversations with colleagues and students. I figure it makes sense to circulate some of the lessons learned in the form of another FAQ list.

Should teachers require students to switch on their camera and microphone for interactive classes?

I discussed this issue at length with the Associate Deans. We agreed that at the level of University policy we should not require this because it could be intrusive in the home environment in which many students study (even though Zoom has a function enabling the background to be blurred or replaced). At the same time, we recognized that teachers may have strong reasons to encourage students to adopt this practice. A colleague in Arts also made the point that in some courses it may be necessary to ask students to do this because of the nature of the learning materials and tasks.

How can students be encouraged to participate in interactive classes held online?

Many teachers report very positive experiences with online interaction. In particular, use of the chat box function in Zoom can trigger participation from students who ordinarily are quite recessive. Others face challenges and problems, however. One way to encourage interaction would be to introduce an assessment component devoted to participation. Even a 10-15% allocation could make a difference. There are also Zoom functions, such as the ‘attendance tracker’, that enable teachers to monitor student participation and intervene with a question or private message.

How can students be encouraged to view online lectures?

One suggestion made by a colleague in Social Sciences is to ask students to complete a weekly assignment consisting of a brief account of the lecture and a short list of questions related to the material covered in it.

How can teachers stay in touch with their students during this period of online T&L?

Moodle remains the best way to keep in touch with students. In addition to any uploaded materials, please do post weekly consultation hours for students to schedule individual conversations with you (using, say, WhatsApp or Zoom). Many students have questions, but they no longer have the option of catching hold of a teacher after a lecture or calling by during office hours. This is also a way to keep the academic advising function going.

How can colleagues share good practice and lessons learned from online T&L?

Some Faculties have created online platforms for teachers to post good and bad experiences of online learning. This is also something we could consider doing for HKU as a whole, linked to Faculty pages. In many Faculties informal groups of colleagues are coming together to share experience and provide mutual support. This is clearly a very welcome development.

As before, many thanks to all and please drop me a line with queries.

Professor Ian Holliday
Vice President (Teaching and Learning)"

Dr. Shahla Ali (夏蘭)
Professor and Associate Dean (International)
Deputy Director, Program in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong

SSRN<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=403698> | ADRinAsia<https://adrinasia.wordpress.com/> | Web<https://www.law.hku.hk/academic_staff/professor-shahla-ali/>  | Practice<http://www.shahlaali.com/>