[IACM List] Offer to inherit: in-progress projects on negotiation checklists, negotiation mindsets, and political negotiations

Valentin Ade valeade at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:48:22 MDT 2021

Dear IACM people,

I will transition out of the research world and have a couple of projects
on my desk that I will not finish.

Anyone interested in inheriting data/grant proposals (or do you know PhD
students looking for project ideas)?

Additional information below.

Cheers

Val

*Integrative negotiation checklist*

For this project, we have

·      created a virtual lab using iDecisionGames. Participants receive an
integrative negotiation checklist or a “placebo” treatment. They then
perform two integrative negotiation exercises.

·      collected data with some 140 participants

·      analyzed the data and found promising effects

·      written grant proposals (two of which lead to smaller grants).

I offer to pass on the virtual lab, the data, and the proposal texts (I
believe that others might be able to just copy and update them). And here’s
a little teaser on how fascinating checklists can be:

As Gehlbach and Artino (2018) describe, “checklists serve as easy,
efficient means to remind professionals of what they already know but can
easily forget” (p. 360). First studies have empirically explored the
effectiveness of checklists in medical surgery. Here, Haynes and colleagues
(2009) report that introducing a 19-item safe-surgery checklist led to a
decline in the rate of death from 1.5% to 0.8%. Also, Lindgard and
colleagues (2008) describe a checklist-introducing intervention after which
the number of communication failures between surgeons, nurses, and
anesthesiologists fell from 3.95 per procedure to 1.31.

*Integrative negotiation mindset*

Using the same experimental setup as in the checklist project, we have
tested if people with a stronger integrative negotiation mindset (as
measured by the 15-item SIM by Ade, Dantlgraber, Schuster, and Trötschel,
2020) perform better than average at the negotiation table. So far, we have
only analyzed the data from the first negotiation exercise, which is a
logrolling exercise. We found promising data showing that the “curiosity
inclination” of the integrative mindset correlates with logrolling success.

I offer to pass on the virtual lab and the data.

*Research practice-gap and integrative political negotiations*

Politicians and diplomats enthusiastically read negotiation research papers
and use the insights they get to make the world a better place - or not?

Most political negotiators’ memoirs, biographies, interviews, or speeches
unfortunately do not suggest that research-based integrative negotiation
concepts play a central role in the way in which they perform their jobs
(e.g., Remnick, 2010, Ryan, 2014, Farrow, 2018, or Feldenkirchen, 2018; a
rare exception being Sebenius, Burns, & Mnookin, 2018). Negotiation
scholars, however, argue that all negotiators can benefit from applying
these integrative concepts.

Outside the negotiation field, Shapiro, Kirkman, and Courtney (2007) point
out that there generally are two possible reasons for a research-practice
gap: research insights may be “lost in translation” or “lost before
translation” (p. 249). In the “lost in translation” case, practitioners do
not use research insights, although these insights would likely be
beneficial. In the “lost before translation” case, practitioners do not
draw on insights because these do not seem to be relevant to their work.
This belief is expressed for instance by one practitioner quoted by Banks
et al. (2016): “Academics don’t help me hustle and grind at work. I need to
take action now, not just talk about it in abstract terms” (p. 2214).

For this project we have

·      written grant proposals (one of which got “nearly” accepted)

·      led five explorative interviews with European politicians from
national and local levels. These interviewees seemed to be little familiar
with integrative negotiations.

-------
Dr. Valentin Ade
Founder, The Negotiation Studio