[IACM List] Pandemic Pedagogy

Ebner, Noam NoamEbner at creighton.edu
Thu Mar 12 09:27:15 MDT 2020

Hi all,

I’m know we’re all following the news of closings and upcoming closings of educational institutions around the world, and their shifting of their teaching activities online, en-masse. Many of you must have received your marching orders on this front already.

[In this line, I note my restraint in not discussing whether this is a good idea. Onwards.]

After reading some of the announcements faculty have been sent, I wondered what might be helpful for faculty to learn just after reading such an announcement, or just having received a phone call or email from their dean’s office. Particularly, I pictured faculty who have not yet taught online, working in institutions that have not developed online practices, culture, and capacity. What are the first questions that leap to their minds?

I sat down and banged out what I hope are, at least initial answers to those questions, framed (I hope) in clarifying and comforting tone. If, in my rush to get this out, I didn’t always succeed at one of those, my apologies. I may revise this document as the situation continues, and perhaps address some more specific issues that pertain to conflict, and negotiation teaching in particular. For now, I offer this document<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3552124> as a first read to any of you who have been asked/told (or, who expect to be asked/told) to quickly transition online.

I know that many of you have some knowledge or some experience; you are far more likely to be successful in the swift transition! Forgive me for beginning with some ABC’s; perhaps you will find some helpful ideas here as well.

Good luck and good health, y’all. We could all use some good news. And soon.

Noam

Noam Ebner
Professor of Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (NCR) Program<https://gradschool.creighton.edu/program/negotiation-and-conflict-resolution-ms>
Creighton University, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
Articles on SSRN<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=425153>
Co-editor, The Palgrave Handbook of Cross-Cultural Business Negotiation<https://tinyurl.com/X-CulturalBizNeg> (2019)
Current Projects:

  *   Star Wars and Conflict Resolution<http://secureservercdn.net/45.40.149.159/gb8.254.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-Wars-and-Conflict-Resolution-CfP-Chapter-Abstracts.pdf>