[IACM List] Special Issue on Social Norms

Michele Gelfand mjgelfand at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 20:32:08 MDT 2020

*Apologies for cross-posstings*

Dear IACM Friends,

 Please spread the word to people you think would be interested in
submitting to our special issue on social norms. Thanks much!

Best,
Michele

*Special Issue on Social Norms and Behavior Change for *

*The Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization*

*(Guest Editors: C. Bicchieri, E. Dimant, M. Gelfand and S. Sonderegger)*

Although social norms research has a long-standing interdisciplinary
tradition, it’s only recently been examined in a variety of economic
domains, such as corruption, environmental conservation, and charitable
giving, among others, and also as a way to augment the effectiveness of
nudging in the form of so-called *norm-nudges* (for a recent discussion see
Bicchieri & Dimant, 2019). Social scientists have also now developed a
vested interest in understanding the impact of social norms on choices, how
social norms may emerge out of collective behaviors and even how compliance
with norms may decline and eventually lead to norm disappearance (e.g.,
Bicchieri, 2016; Gelfand, 2019; Bicchieri, Dimant, Gächter & Nosenzo, 2020;
Bicchieri, Dimant & Sonderegger, 2020).

In this special issue, we will bring together cutting-edge research from
economics and adjacent fields including, but not limited to, psychology and
sociology, to illuminate the social dynamics surrounding the development,
sustainability, violation or demise of social norms, and how these
mechanisms can be exploited to ultimately achieve positive behavioral
change. Our objective is to cover a broad spectrum of approaches to social
norms, including theoretical, empirical, and experimental research at the
intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, intergroup, and cultural levels of
analysis.

We envision contributions linking social norms to networks, emotions, power
and status, identity, group dynamics, intergroup relations, and culture,
among numerous other possible directions. We hope the collected papers will
provide a comprehensive account of the scientific state of the art with
regards to the questions of how social norms arise, how they are
maintained, how they influence behavior, when they are obeyed and when they
are broken, and how these mechanisms can inform policy-makers wishing to
influence individual behavior.

*Special Issue Guest Editors*

§  Cristina Bicchieri, University of Pennsylvania (cb36 at sas.upenn.edu)

§  Eugen Dimant, University of Pennsylvania (edimant at sas.upenn.edu)

§  Michele Gelfand, University of Maryland (mgelfand at umd.edu)

§  Silvia Sonderegger, University of Nottingham (
Silvia.Sonderegger at nottingham.ac.uk)

*Questions pertaining to the special issue should be directed to Eugen
Dimant.*

*Submission Information*

Guide for Authors can be found in
https://www.elsevier.com/journals/journal-of-economic-behavior-and-organization/0167-2681/guide-for-authors
.

Papers for the special issue should be submitted through the Journal of
Economic Behavior & Organization submission system (
https://ees.elsevier.com/jebo/). In the submission system, please choose
article type ‘Social Norms and Behavior Change’. Submissions will be
subject to the normal peer review process.

*Submissions for the special issue begin on September 1, 2020, with the
final deadline for submission being January 31, 2021**.*

--
Michele J. Gelfand
Distinguished University Professor

RULE MAKERS, RULE BREAKERS:
How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire Our World
Click here
<https://www.amazon.com/Rule-Makers-Breakers-Tight-Cultures/dp/1501152939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529529657&sr=8-1&keywords=Rule+makers+rule+breakers&dpID=51D6661OdSL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch>
for
more information